Repositionning of the South-West sector of the Lyon Metropolitan Area
Givors, France. 20-26 January 2013
Cities and agglomerations are at a crossroads - they need to accommodate future growth in either furthering urban sprawl or becoming denser, as more concentrated territories offer more efficiency in infrastructure provision, transport usage, economic, commercial and social functions.
The agglomeration of Lyon (Grand Lyon) in France is developing such a strategy, working towards a multinodal metropolis.
To enrich the debate between the 60 urban poles composing the metropolis, the Grand Lyon has invited INTA to bring an International peer-to-peer review (Panel) to launch a reflection on the positioning of the South West pole centred on the citiy of Givors and its surroundings. Download the set of maps available.
The mandate was to review the overall coherence of the Metropolitan project, its viability and its implementation, and to focus on a higher level of strategic vision for the South West sector.
The INTA panel consisted of ten people from different backgrounds who all have some skills and practice experience on urban development and governance issues. (See profile of panelists).
The panel members first had a technical visit of the territory on Sunday and starting from Monday morning, have interviewed more than 30 local stakeholders in 3 days to gather information about the territory, its constraints and challenges: elected representatives and technicians from the City of Givors City and the Greater Lyon, but also of the the County Council (Rhône) and of State administrations (DDT), the planning agency, representatives of the business sector (Chamber of Commerce, entrepreuneurs ...) and the civil society.
After these days of hearings, the panel gathered to analyze the information and suggest some recommendations for the future of the territory. Here are the main results:
Givors polarity, the medium city retrieved in the metropolitan context: Confluence 2.0
The relations of the Givors polarity within the metropolitan territory.
The panel has taken the measure of the strategic positioning of the Givors polarity within the metropolis, whether for Greater Lyon or in the context of the Pole Metropolitain (cooperation of 4 urban districts: Greater Lyon, Saint Etienne Métropole, Vienne and l’Isle d’Abeau-Bourgoin Jallieu) where Givors and its surrounding areas are a real crossroads that articulates the metropolitan area.
Lonely city. Givors suffered deindustrialization and from city center, it found itself at the margin having to undertake a heavy fragmentation on its territory.
Retrieved City. The 2000-2010 development plan of the municipality, the entry in the Regional Masterplan (ScoT) and in the Greater Lyon has made Givors a territory for the future.
Penalized city. What was its strength became a risk: meaningful identity, highway, rivers, clinging to the metropolitan system not producing an rapid improvement of the quality of life.
Major challenges remain and assert (low income population, urban fractures due to large regional and national infrastructure, a lack of image, the confluence of the Rhone and Gier and the banks are not valued enough), with strong potential:
- Exceptional location
- Good public transport system
- Being part of an intermunicipality (Greater Lyon) and a dynamic region
- First-class public services and amenities for a city of this size, enabling it to play the role of polarity
- Values of “living together” is a brand identity, but also a political process
In this context, the Panel has proposed an approach of the future: CONVERGE
Building on the achievements and measuring the extent of the problems and challenges, a new plan for the future generation should be established. Marker of this plan for the future could be the notion of CONFLUENCE *:
- Territorial confluence to benefit from the strengths of the multiplicity of territories where falls and plays the future of the Givors polarity, which means for the city to raise its collective capacity in urban engineering
- Time confluence between a powerful story, and a future to feed
- Human confluence mobilizing internal resources of the city and its external partners with a confluence of business sectors between training institutions and economic actors, entrepreneurs and integrated activity networks, education, culture, sport, citizenship and environment, the city and its neighborhoods, urban development and sustainability of this development.
The accelerator may consist of the systematic implementation of this everyday multifunctional CONFLUENCE that could become a brand and a strong and attractive contribution to the whole metropolis.
*The definition adopted by the panel of CONFLUENCE = all dimensions to make converge, depending on the prerogatives of each, the development and sharing of a new vision for the future.
The spirit in which these transformations should be lead:
- Pulling up Givors and its polarity.
- Expand the institutional and functional interactions. Givors voluntarism must find relays in the Greater Lyon internal mechanisms, choosing the appropriate scale of the territory from the intermunicipality (Greater Lyon) to the Pole Métropolitain, and mastering the competition between the different functional areas (transportation authorities, commercial, housing, major infrastructure, ...)
- Recognition of mutual interests - Capacity to offer something for a mutual gain!
- Raise the quality of the territory without undressing other places of their functions ; « redoing » the territory in an constrained public resources economy environment (partnerships, alliances)
Metropolitan dynamics generates its own logic of investments and projects which requires that Givors has in a continous way, a strong and realistic programme for the project credibility and public management to strengthen the new image. The recent entry into the intermunicipality dynamic supposes to go to a next step in the partnership.
Metropolitan dynamic passing over territories should be avoid thanks to a strategy that goes further than the scenarios of the Regional Masterplan. Without the ability to hold at least three scales, it seems difficult to believe in a trend inflection:
- The scale of Regional Masterplan (SCoT Lyon) and interSCoT for planning,
- The scale of the intermunicipalities (Greater Lyon) to ensure solidarity, and the future project management,
- The scale of the Givors centrality for the implementation and construction of a new collective identity around the project.
This means both the metropolis succeeds in its strategic priority areas with the help of the Givors polarity and the city benefits from the metropolis to regereate itself.
From polarity to centrality
In the metropolitan context and its opening to the South, the "Givors plate " should occupy a pivot function complementary to the city of Vienna, the Gier valley, with alliances to organize, in order to avoid to be in a narrow position in the south of intermunicipality, whence the importance of co-visibility projects with neighboring territories.
The overall project should combine a strong and ambitious programming component with a vicinity dimension, coming at people's lives - "city for everyone" – that ensures the adhesion of the population. This means being precursor, correcting metropolitan excesses with a different vision of what can be a medium city "for everyone" in a metropolitan logic.
The voluntarism of Givors must find other fields of application such as the establishment of conditions for a knowledge ecosystem, a development process through a selective and abundant strategy of future projects - a city where it feels good to innovate.
In conclusions, Givors requires:
1. to adopt a global method / approach
Invest a multitude of "scenes" and a variety of specific scenarios, for example, Givors junction of interregional and metropolitan cycling routes. The Regional masterplan calls to assess the landscapes and promote alternative modes of transport.
2. articulation of a new mechanism components
• Via Rhôna (Lake Geneva to the Mediterranean), the segment Lyon / Givors is not done to date
• the Confluences green road carried by the Pôle Métropolitain (St Etienne to l’Isle d’Abeau)
• a "museum" (Maison du Fleuve Rhône), a branch of the Office of Tourism of the Greater Lyon, a dock for passenger ships, a river stop, a hotel restaurant, a park, an walking trails of the Pilat Regional Park
3. Build an operating system
Alliances with different actors (Greater Lyon, CNR, VNF Company boats, bike clubs, Pôle Métropolitain) for a scenario involving services to create, promotion, associated event, service partners…
Eg the "Village Auto"; young entrepreneurs in Givors ...
Change the image of the city - a story and some "style"
- Local social values are the elements of the construction of the image (solidarity, sharing pride, strength)
- Write a new page in the history backed by local legacies structuring the long time (to recognize themselves in a social "novel")
- No taste (fashion, evanescent) but the style (a way of being and acting in the world but continuously evolving / adapting)
We invite you to check the document of the public presentation of the results of the work of the Panel, held on January 26, 2013 in Givors.
A written report will be available at the end of March 2013.