A Taiwanese delegation visit Paris and London for Xin-Zhuang Smart Eco-city project, preparing the 2nd phase of the INTA international panel which will take place in August 2013.
10-14 June 2013, Paris, France & London, UK
The 5 days visit was arranged by the INTA secretariat in Paris and London, for a delegation from Taiwan including Charles Lin, associate professor, Department of Humanities and social Science / Graduate Institute of Architecture, National Chiao Tung University, Ren-Jye Dzeng, CEO of Eco-City of Smart Living Technology Integration Center, National Chiao Tung University, June Chen, assistant of Eco-City of Smart Living Technology Integration Center, National Chiao Tung University, Song-Nien Xiao, President, Ivy Hsu Assistant Vice-President and Shih-Ling Chen from Cosmos Planning & Design Consultants Inc.
This study visit was aimed to help the Taiwanese delegation to understand different cases related to Eco-City and Smart-City in Europe, to find out the best strategy and solution to face the investment change of New Taipei industrial policies, and also to adjust the positioning of the Xin-Zhuang New Urban Center in order to develop a strategy for a Smart living community in support to the economy.
The study tour included the visits of :
1. Boulogne Billancourt former Renault factories area, in the West of Paris. The public development corporation SAEM VAL de SEINE presented the management of the project; and highlighted several elements of this ECO-neighborhood to learn the process and issues. Between the delegation and the public development corporation, the discussion was about how the local government and private developer work together, especially on the issue of affordable and social housing.
2. Working session: Review and discussion of the progress report on the Xin-Zhuang Smart-City project for the 2nd phase of the international panel organized by INTA. The working session gathered INTA international panelists, Cosmos Inc, NCTU. Both INTA panelists and the delegation presented their vision and practice method.
3. Presentation of "PHOSPORE", a forward looking project presented by the Cie EIFFAGE on smart technologies and planning innovation for Eco-City. Cie EIFFAGE has presented their vision of a future integrated development of the city, including sustainable energy, urban waste, urban transport hub...
4. Visit of Plaine Commune area, a regeneration district in the North of Paris, future creative and culture cluster within the Greater Paris metropolitan strategy. The Chief Executive of the urban district Plaine Commune introduced the alliance strategy, the general vision for this territory, and the negotiations with the central government done to get major infrastructures (new train stations, covering freeways...) and different ongoing projects.
5. Visit to La Défense financial district. Including the visit of Tower square, Grande Arche, Museum of La Défense (presented by De Facto public development corporation in a historical and future developmental perspective) , also the underground spaces and structures, the multi-layer of transport hub. The tour was guided by the transport specialists Didier Lourdin and Pierre Plaindoux. This visit showed the major commercial cluster area in Europe (4 Temps), and also pointed out some problems to be solved, such as communication between construction and management authority, waste of underground spaces, and confusing circulation for pedestrians.
6. Visit of London King's Cross station regeneration area. This project is the largest mixed use development in single ownership to be master planned and developed in central London. Around 30ha of mixed use development around the international train station of Saint Pancras, connecting directly to the main airports, this project will also promote high quality of life and creative industries within central London.
7. Visit of London Greenwich Millennium Village. The delegation took the cable car, with the bird-eyes view, they had a short visit of this area, including the green belt, the eco-park and the landmark: O2.
8. Visit of London "Siemens Crystal Centre for the Future". The exhibition highlights sustainability in all urban issues, such as renewable energy, urban waste and water management, security mechanism, healthy caring system…etc.
9. Visit of London SOHO area and Piccadilly-Circus, Oxford-Circus, China Town commercial area. A flexible visit of commercial district, feeling the vibrant energy of London central area.
Many different ways to manage urban projects and to try to have the smartest governance were shown during these days. NCTU, Cosmos and INTA's panelists will keep working on Xin-Zhuang Smart Eco city with these perspectives in mind. They will try to apply what they have learned from this useful visit and develop the further strategy and practical aspects. The 2nd phase of the INTA international panel will be held on August in New Taipei City,Taiwan.