Maurice Charrier

Maurice Charrier, at the end of his mandate as President, recalled the principles on which his public action was based. My term as President has come to an end. I am grateful to the Board of INTA for having trusted me twice. It is difficult for me to take stock of these 6 years; it is up to the Governing Board to do so. Failing to do well, I tried to do for the best, in a context that was not always easy. INTA is subject to the same constraints, to the same challenges imposed on many other associations. I am grateful to all the members of the Board for their engagement and support, with a special mention for Francis Néher, our treasurer. My gratitude also goes to the General Secretariat, Lola Davidson and to Luis Buezo whom I greet with kind regards. My immense gratitude to Michel Sudarskis our Secretary General and to Christine Sudarskis the Advisor to the President. More than a confident collaboration, I think I can say a complicity, a friendship have settled between us.

jean carassusMaurice Charrier : overview on the last two mandates

Maurice Charrier, at the end of his mandate as President, recalled the principles on which his public action was based.

My term as President has come to an end. I am grateful to the Board of INTA for having trusted me twice. It is difficult for me to take stock of these 6 years; it is up to the Governing Board to do so. Failing to do well, I tried to do for the best, in a context that was not always easy.

INTA is subject to the same constraints, to the same challenges imposed on many other associations. I am grateful to all the members of the Board for their engagement and support, with a special mention for Francis Néher, our treasurer. My gratitude also goes to the General Secretariat, Lola Davidson and to Luis Buezo whom I greet with kind regards. My immense gratitude to Michel Sudarskis our Secretary General and to Christine Sudarskis the Advisor to the President. More than a confident collaboration, I think I can say a complicity, a friendship have settled between us.

We have known each other for more than 30 years, from this panel that Henry Chabert, then INTA president and vice president of the Lyon urban community, proposed to the young Mayor of the commune of Vaulx-en-Velin that I was. Our friend Roy Adams was president of this panel, Michel Sudarskis his ardent animator, positive critic, mobilizer, inventive, innovative, cultivated. I greet Henry's memory with emotion; in Lyon we were not of the same "camp"; but what a partnership based on shared values!

Vaulx-en-Velin, this popular commune, owes a lot to INTA for its contributions in the definition and implementation of an urban and human development project, which has made it pass from the status of suburban town, somewhat forgotten, to that of a full-fledged city of the Metropolis, while keeping its identity as a popular city open and cultivated.

I think that we must be grateful to our association for having grasped the great mutations and ruptures that have taken place and the major issues that stem from them today:

• demographic challenges with the increase in the world population, marked by its aging;
  • environmental challenges with immeasurable consequences for the future of humanity and biodiversity;
  • stakes consecutive to the changes which mark the economies with corollary the changes of the modes of production, the modes of consumption and the changes of the social and political data;
  • stakes of the relationship to weave between urban and rural, through shared projects, allowing sustainable and united territorial developments.
  • democratic issues, with the aspirations of the inhabitants and the peoples to have their citizenships fully recognized

We have translated this innovative vision into the "Manifesto" published on the occasion of the United Nations World Forum "Habitat 3" in Quito. It was, this is the point of view that I wish to share with you, a milestone in the history of INTA.

We have shown how cities and territories are living, complex bodies, both an image of the diversity of our human societies, and crucibles from which their futures emerge. This work today irrigates all of our activities: panels, seminars, INTAKawa, training program or rather "deformation" to avoid "formatting”...

This work has enabled INTA to strengthen its partnerships on all continents in all spheres, public and private, research and universities, with non-governmental organizations, all of which thus strengthening its notoriety.

The accuracy of our reflections and our commitments, their relevance, their grip on realities, and thus the recognition of INTA, allows us to be optimistic for the future of our association.

The multitude of women and men, of good will, committed on a daily basis, to support their neighbourhood, their city, their territory, committed to solidarity and for the exercise of human rights; the millions of young people around the world who demonstrate, every day, for the preservation of the Earth and biodiversity, for human progress, their new ideas and sometimes their healthy anger, give confidence in the future, because they open wide doors and windows and make you want to dream.

This is why it has been an honour to be the President of INTA and I am sure that my successor, Professor Fernando Nunes da Silva will guide INTA on safe and "radiant" paths. It will always be the same pleasure to remain an available member of its Governing Board.

Back to previous page

bannerTechEng